(a)Musings & not so (a)Musings

Monday, November 01, 2004

Lord Aragon speaketh !!

Well not Lord Aragon himself, but Aragon. That's the name of my new notebook (I hate to use the term laptop, laptops are atleast a generation old, more bulky machines, when compared to the sleek machines that notebooks are).

It's a Compaq Presario, with pretty much all the bells and whistles that come with today's notebooks. I sadly missed out on the greal Dell deals that were on a few weeks ago, where a machine of a similar configuration as mine (1.4Ghz Centrino, 512 MB RAM, 60 Gig Hard Drive, DVD -RW/CD - RW, and inbuilt wireless card) was atleast 300-400 green backs cheaper.

I was keen on buying a notebook that was under 5.5 lbs, and this beauty is 5.2, an inch thick, with a nice pretty wide screen !

Only sore point was, all the new notebooks that are sold at the big stores, are shipped with XP Home. Why would they ship such powerhouses with XP Home instead of XP Pro is beyond me. However, these same machines could be customized to come with XP Pro if one was buying it from the manufacturer's website. And that would mean atleast a 3 week waiting period, and I couldnt wait. Patience, isnt one of my virtues for sure.

So, within half an hour of bringing the baby home, I formatted the drive, and installed XP Pro on it.

I was duly warned by the Best Buy store clerk - " You may not be able to find all the software drivers online, if it comes to that, its best if we do it for you" . (Ofcourse, it'd cost me an additional 300 atleast if I did it with them !!!)

And I was thinking to myself - "Errr, I think I can handle that, I've formatted my desktop quite a few times, and this is a risk I'm willing to take, moreover, who are you trying to kid? Not be able to find drivers for the hardware online? Especially while using anXP Pro? And your talking to me, a self confessed geek?" (My hubris had to show up !)

Anyway, long story short, turns out, Compaq Presario shipped all the drivers and sofware that I'd need in a separate DVD, and no, this is not the Recovery CD. So, I didnt have to move my posterior much over the re-installation.

And as I'm blogging right now, am backing up my desktop, so that I can format it and re-install it again. A healthy practice to ensure peak performance, especially considering the tons of software that I've installed on it.

Funny thing was, as I was backing up the necessary data files, I couldnt help but feel bad, as if I was pulling the plug on a loved one. Fellow geeks may comprehend my feelings for my dear desktop. But, the way I looked at it, I'm giving her a new lease of life :)

I think I'm just too senti !! :|

About time I got a life !

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home