(a)Musings & not so (a)Musings

Wednesday, October 27, 2004

"Does he have real balls?"

That's what Don Corleone asks Tom Hagen, his new Consigliari (Counsellor), of John Woltz, a film producer/director in The Godfather. The Godfather, is one of my favorite movies, but I got a chance to pinch the book from a friend over the weekend (after many assurances of returning promptly upon completion). And I just couldnt put it down.

The above dialogue features in the book, not sure if its in the movie. But, as with all things mystical and enigmatic about the Don, the phrase "Does he have real balls" is not as apparent as it seems. (Even if the reference is to courage, and definitely not to the originality of a man's paraphernalia !)

What the Don meant was - does he have the balls to risk everything, to run the chance of losing all on a matter of principle, on a matter of honor?

That's a very thought provoking question. I have recently crossed my principles over a subject that gave me many months of anguish (and still does), and I figured the best course to go through, was to be smart and survive out there. I guess, it was one of my needs that needed to be fulfilled, and it was amongst the most basic. Maslow would surely agree.

But then again, that's what separates great men, from mere mortals as I. Their commitment to their principles, is unwavering. I have no delusions as to where I stand, but then again, I know where my strengths lie, and I also know my weaknesses - there, I believe, lies my greatest strength.

And in sheer contrast to the kind of story that I read in The Godfather, wherein lives are taken purely on 'it was nothing personal, just business' basis, and the violent struggle for power between Mafia families across the nation, is another book that I have had the idea of reading, only a few years ago, but never brought myself to it. Author in question - a certain M.K. Gandhi.

And the irony is not lost out on me here, with the topic in question. This man, M.K.Gandhi, did really have balls, by Vito Corleone's standards. I needn't say more, his accomplishments are legendary.

What was your choice, when you came across such a situation?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home