(a)Musings & not so (a)Musings

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Hip Hop and Dum Maro Dum?

Thats precisely what you will get when you hear Method Man's track "What's Happening".

Thanks to LaunchCast, the Hip Hop Channel runs almost continuously on my Yahoo Messenger, and what do I hear a few days back? A Hip Hop track, with the unmistakable tune of R.D Burman's "Dum Maro Dum" somewhere in the background.

Now, I know, there are some who are totally against remixes (I on the other hand, enjoy remixes, if they are done well. There are plenty others, who actually make me wince), and an R.D track being used in another track might be sacrilege to them. But nevertheless, it pleased me a lot to see, some desi music being used in the background, in an English song.

Copyright afficionadoes may rest easy, as according to Mid-day all the copyrights have been acquired for this song, and apparently due credits have even been mentioned in the album cover.

As to how the song is, I think its good, but I havent really heard it well. When I hear the R.D track in the background, I half expect Asha Bhosle to go 'Dum Maro Dum' :|




2 Comments:

  • Dude I absolutely luv American/desi fusion mixes…
    I think it started with Addictive by Truth Hurts…I also like… Snake by R Kelly both every old but still fun to listen to on long road trips, and much more which I can’t remember names for due to the fact that I do not have my 80 gig hard drive on me ..which consist of only music…and also my mare absent mindedness is taking over my bloody 3rd world brain… ma bad.. sorry…

    By Blogger kRiS, at 11:05 AM  

  • Oh, there are more? Well, i guess i'll look out for those numbers. Didnt know R Kelley did a 'Bollywood' in one of his tracks. Though, his 'I believe I can fly...' is still the best song to ever listen to when the chips are down. I guess i'll have to put this song on a loop. :)

    By Blogger Hifzur, at 9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home