(a)Musings & not so (a)Musings

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Am I dreaming, or did Australia really lose?

Is it possible? Was I dreaming when I the unthinkable happened? An absolute shocker of a news, but a pleasing one as well. And I'm sure, a lot of cricket lovers will share the same feeling.

Speaking for myself, the shock (or smug look to be precise), is more of Australia losing, than England beating Australia. Yes, ofcourse, the Anglo Australian rivalry in cricket, is as old (if not older), and carries the same emotions for both nations, as an Indo Pakistan encounter in the field.

But what makes this English victory sweeter, is that, there was absolutely no doubt about who played a better game today. Cricket is a game of glorious uncertainities, and though painful as they are, its the uncertainities that bring so much charm and excitement to this game. And, today, there were no such issues of wrong decisions, the side batting first suffering more, due to the early pitch and weather conditions, and what not.

It was pure exhilarating cricket, played the old fashion way.

Mike Atherton, said in this column, that the best way to beat Australia, is to forget about the early blitzkrieg in the first 15 overs (which has almost become the norm nowadays), and concentrate on maintaining their wickets, for until much later, and let the Man with the Midas Touch - Andy Flintoff, take England to a fighting total.

What really happened was almost similar to what Atherton suggested, but Vaughn and Trescothick kicked it up a notch. Driving, and pulling Brett Lee and McGrath, I'm sure it was a sight to behold.

I did not regret as much, when I didnt see the India - Pakistan match on Sunday, as I'm regretting missing out on this great match today.

It was a well earned victory, and England, now, is my favorite to win the Champions Trophy, even if neighbor Pakistan makes it to the final. England has been on a long overdue roll now, thanks in large part to Harmison and Flintoff, and they will remain my favorites for the single reason that they beat the undisputed world champions of cricket, in a very convincing fashion.

Which brings me to my question. What would be the mental state of the Aussie squad now? They have soared so high, decimating opponents with their aggressive brand of cricket, which I admire and enjoy a lot, that, this team, has almost forgotten how to lose. Would this defeat rankle them up so much that we can hope to see Australia lose a few more matches (more importantly because, they tour India in a month !) ?

But knowing how the Aussies play their cricket, and the professionalism and commitment they bring to the game, this defeat would sadly be a wake up call, much to the Men in Blue's discomfort.


2 Comments:

  • dude i know my dad and i were baffled and highly confused.. i mean England hello...

    By Blogger kRiS, at 10:56 AM  

  • Yea, the defeat was a shock, but England hasnt been doing too bad either. Infact, I'm seeing England play good cricket after a very very long time.

    By Blogger Hifzur, at 11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home