(a)Musings & not so (a)Musings

Friday, November 19, 2004

Dollop - My own Central Perk.

There is this new cute little coffee shop that's opened up around the corner. Dollop being the name. The name reminded me of Cadbury's Dollops ice creams back in India (they are long since extinct, aren't they?).

Nice lighting, bright in certain areas, and not so bright in some others. So, more variety there, for folks who prefer different lighting conditions.

Went there last friday night, to check it out, with Aragon in tow, to catch up on some resume remodelling.

Ordered the smallest cup of coffee possible. (I had just broken my fast about half hour ago, so wasnt too keen on stuffing myself, even if it was coffee).

Was asked the customary question: "For here, or to go?"

And me in my new-coffeeshop-checking-out delight, thundered: "For here"

Couple of minutes later, my coffee was served in what looked like a wide-ass (not big ass mind you, but wide !) bowl. I eyed it suspiciously. The nice little bowl named "Dog" filled with water outside the shop, filled my coffee craving mind with doubt. Did she serve me coffee in a cat bowl?

Or is it an 'in' thing to lap up one's coffee?

But when I noticed, the small little handle, tucked somewhere on this wide contraption called a cup, reassured me that I wasnt given a feline treatment.

I'm one of those beverage drinkers, who likes their coffee/tea, piping hot. And thanks to the wide-ass-now-confirmed-cup, my coffee was lukewarm.

Anyway, long story short, the coffee was good, and I went and parked myself on a nice little table. And switched on Aragon. Me and my new buddy were gonna get some work done.

Cozy shop, I realized, was also a wireless hot spot. And it was free !! Yipee!

The nice thing about this coffee shop is the ambience. Some of the furniture in the place is actually odd, but fits in uniquely, and gives it a different feel. For instance, the place where they have condiments for the coffee, is actually on a rosewood finish, oldie style, dressing table. Complete with a small wide mirror. Matter of fact, it is old !!

Not to mention, the nice cozy couches, and books.

Books ! There are atleast about a 100 different books in this place, and the sheer variety of them and their age, makes it even more interesting, and well, cozy ! Today, I noticed 'War & Peace', 'Gulliver's Travels', 'My Ischmael', and a book on ESP (which I hope to read soon !).

Oh, did I mention the neat rows of National Geographic in the restroom?

Would anybody ever touch those books? I sure wouldnt, but what the heck, the restroom looks cool with 'em in. :)

And, since I was there last friday night, there was a live band, playing some good jazz. Way to go Chris (dude who owns the place).

And if you dont own a wireless notebook, dont fret, coz, Dollop has a shiny new iMac, for these very souls.

So if you are in Chicago, and have nothing better to do an afternoon or evening, check out Dollop.

On show at Clarendon and Gordon, Buena Park neighborhood.
Timings: 6 am to Midnight.

Verdict: Two Thumbs Up.








5 Comments:

  • Sounds damn cool! Or are you Dollop's official PR agent?!

    Will definitely check it out, the next time I am thereabouts.

    By Blogger M, at 4:12 AM  

  • Majusha - I aint no PR agent of Dollops, if that were the case, if you dig deeper into my blogs, you'd find 'evidence' of me being the PR agent of 'The Godfather', 'The Da Vinci Code', etc. Rest assured, these are posts as a consumer/end user :)

    Dumbs - I aint kiddin. NG's are available. You are welcome to flip through them during your visit to Chicago and Dollop. I personally aint touchin any of it, as tempting as it may be ;)

    Well, considering my post on Dollop has found atleast two inquisitive souls, feel free to drop me a line, when you are really here, I live around the corner. Would be nice to meet up some fellow bloggers, especially blogspotters :)

    By Blogger Hifzur, at 10:02 PM  

  • Well written, with the right touch of humour. Makes me curious nough to want to visit 'Dollop' n check it out!

    By Blogger vahbyz, at 8:34 AM  

  • Vandy..... hifzur cool write up but next time upload d pic...of dat cup/bowl... intresting sight iam sure ;) feel free to include yourself!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:19 AM  

  • You're funny! Truly enjoyed your blog. Keep up the humourous spirit

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home