(a)Musings & not so (a)Musings

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Some more of my hobby

The Winter Experiments...

Winter, is one of my favorite seaons (yea, I know, I've been told that I'm a weirdo, especially for someone who came from Chennai, where the average temperature must be around 90 'F, and I'm not including summer). And winter shots, was an experiment I had to conduct. This year more than most, since a friend of work, convinced me to enter the photography competition, at the Iowa State Fair next year, whose theme is Winter.

For some weird, unexplained reason, I woke up at 6.30 am, this Saturday, and couldnt laze around more, than my usual, until 7.30. It had snowed the previous day, and it was quite cold at that time of the day (around 24 F winchill), when my photography desires came calling. A short drive to Gray's Lake, and I had started my winter collection.

This set of trees caught my attention, and something about them, made me stop the car, and see if I could get some good angles. I did, and I also immediately started my experiments with B&W. The angles were just right to get the reflection of the trees on the water. I consider it a shame, if a photographer couldnt capture the reflection of his subject, in a water body, and include the whole as the subject in its entirety. I think, these came out pretty well.




I couldnt decide between the black and white pic of the two trees, and the color one.
love them both, and they are so different, even though the subject is the same. Just the angles and the color level were different. I decided to keep both. If you happen to see these two, do drop in a note, to say which of these two you like the most. It'll be interesting to see where the popular vote goes....



4 Comments:

  • Hey Hifzy,

    Okay I'm a sucker for B&W. I'd have to go with that for both the single and multiple tree pictures. Although the multiple tree color one is really good. Your mantis turned out great. Worth all the frustration of trying to take the picture. Keep it up.
    Cat

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:30 AM  

  • Thanks for the comment Cat. Yea, I'm usually a sucker for B&W myself, but these pictures, have caught me on the fence. I still am not able to make up my mind. But one thing's for sure, more winter shots are on the way.
    And yup, the Mantis, is my pride and joy at the moment.

    By Blogger Hifzur, at 12:54 PM  

  • Hmm can't help myself writing again :) Nice pictures there Hifzur. I'd say I'd go for the second one, as for some odd reason colour's a refreshing change specially when its well shot with a good shade and feel to it..but thats my opinion.
    Vahbyz

    By Blogger vahbyz, at 1:18 PM  

  • Hey Hifzur,

    Great pictures. I would have both of them, color is such an important element, isn't it? Its missing in one and filled with it, in another picture

    Kafila

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home