(a)Musings & not so (a)Musings

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

The Da Vinci Code

I have read a zillion books in my lifetime so far, (a few of them non fiction). And thanks to my short attention and memory span, I can hardly remember the stories of half of 'em. But until a few weeks ago, right among the top of my list of fav books was Sidney Sheldon's Tell Me Your Dreams .

And the reason why this book is my all time favorite is clear by the fact that I remember what the story is about. Other books that I have found extremely enjoyable, and my favorite genre of books - of the spook variety, I hardly remember !!

I have been hearing a lot about Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code, for almost a year, and this is by far, the most popular book I have actually seen - I see either someone holding it, or reading it, in a train, or on a bus, in a park, or just at a bus stop !

And it took me about a year (being the bookphile I am!!), to haul my posterior, to read this book. Actually, I still didnt haul my posterior, it was my sister, who took the pains to reserve this book from the library.

And, this book, by far, is the only one, that I just did not want to put down, after i read the Prologue.

I wont give the story of the book away, but what really catches my eye about this book are three things - Dan Brown's research of historical facts, the explanation of art and symbols to such an extent that it piques the interest of readers who are completely ignorant of art(me!!) and the way women are viewed in today's society versus, what it was eons ago.

I'm sure, this book, is hugely popular with the ladies, for the latter reason, and maybe a little unpopular with certain sections of the male society.

In a gist, what is said about this topic is that - women, were not just equal to men (unlike in today's society, where, this equality in my opinion is just emerging, after centuries of male domination), but were held a notch higher than men.

And I guess, this book resonates a lot with me on this topic, because, I share similar views.
But heck, I will still eye that pretty young thing that passes by me. (Actually, I marvel at God's creation, but people just dont buy it, when I say that)

The other part of the book that really made me think, (though, this thought process in my mind, was set forth by a renegade Canadian author - Irshad Manji, a Canadian Muslim - what if the holy scriptures as we know today, and which we follow as the last authority on our respective religions, was actually rewritten, by vested interests?) Robert Langdon, the protagonist, in The Da Vinci Code makes a similar claim. That, The Bible, as we know today, was actually rewritten, by The Church.

But, as a blow to all of our knowledge about world history, Robert Langdon makes one simple statement.

And it pretty much knocked the living daylights out of me : -

History, is nothing more than the winner's side of the story.

Now, then, what really went on, around the world, years ago? I guess, we can only speculate, and ofcourse, it'll be party time for consipiracy theorists.

As for the book - A, definite and must read. And my sister, and I have, become die hard fans of Dan Brown, with more books reserved in the library queue!!

2 Comments:

  • Yes, that book was great! I knew probably 80% of everything before hand that was mentioned in there but he brought it all together in such a way that I was like "Wow! this guy really put some thought process into his composition".

    By Blogger Seeker, at 11:15 AM  

  • Yea, Seeker, its amazing isnt it? Good to meet another Dan Brown fan :)

    By Blogger Hifzur, at 12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home