(a)Musings & not so (a)Musings

Thursday, June 03, 2004

Palm Vs Pocket PC

Having been using a handheld device for the last 2 years, I consider myself a little well versed with the intricacies of buying a handheld. So when a friend asked me whether to buy a Pocket PC or a Palm, I gave him my two cents worth.

I felt that it'd be a good idea to post it on my blog, someone might find it useful.....


I'll tell you what was important for me, as it'll give you an idea.

1. Handheld Size - I wanted the device to be as small and light as possible, coz, i'd be carrying it in my trouser pocket everyday with me !!
(This almost rules out Pocket PC devices, as they are generally a tad longer, and in most cases, bulkier as well)
If you are one of those people, who carry their handheld devices in a handbag/briefcase, then you neednt worry too much about size.

2. Display Brightness - Some devices arent that bright at all. For instance, Sony for all its great finish, and excellent quality, couldnt match Palm's latest equipments in terms of display brightness.

3.MP3 capability - I wanted a device that could also double up as a MP3 device. Yeah, iPod, sure is the mother of all MP3 players, but it didnt make much sense (and also cents!) to me, to carry two devices on my person.

4. Inter-operability of additional hardware - If I had purchased a Sony PDA, then i'd have to buy a Sony Memory Stick to play MP3, which is not only more expensive, but also, can be used only with Sony products. So i decided to go for a device that uses a standard SD Memory Card, which a lot of devices use, and is cheaper to buy as well ($40, compared to Sony's $60 !!)
(This fit in perfectly with my Digital Camera, which uses an SD card).

5. Only a Palm for me please !! - I had been so used to using a Palm device, that I became an expert at Graffiti (the software that u can write on the screen and it converts ur strokes to text), and I dindt want to unlearn it and try Pocket PC. Moreover, there was the loyalty factor !!!


These are the things you'll need to keep in mind though, and things i know for sure.

1. In Pocket PC devices, you can easily transfer your (Word, Excel and other files) between ur desktop and ur handheld and work on them, back and forth.

2. With, Palm, you will need a 3rd party software to do this, but depending on the price range you are looking at, the software might be bundled with the device when you buy it.

3. The size - as mentioned earlier, Pocket PCs are more bulkier than Palm devices. But also keep in mind the payoffs. For the things that I needed from my machine, it was a no brainer that i needed a Palm device.

4. Processor - Compare the processor speeds of the devices you are considering, and factor this in your decision. A faster processor, needless to say, is better.

Now onto manufacturers:

Palm Handhelds:

1. Sony - for its sheer quality and finish. the sleekest stuff you can lay your hands on. Only problem is (if its a problem !!), the display doesnt quite compare well enough with the latest Palm handhelds.
2. Palm - Excellent display, and loads of memory with new devices like Tungsten T3 (I think its got 64 mb, and thats monstrous in Palm's reference)

P.S - Sony recently announced that they will be taking their handhelds out of the US market, and they will be available only for the Japanese market. So, you might wanna think twice if you are going to buy a Sony PDA.

Pocket PC:

1. iPaq - Arguably has the widest range of handhelds, though I dont know much about their performance.
2. Toshiba - A close front runner, and sleek in finish as well, compared with iPaq, which is a little bulkier.

***********************

Explain that

A school teacher was asking students what their parents did for a living.

"Tim, you be first," she said. "What does your mother do all day?"

Tim stood up and proudly said, "She's a doctor."

"That's wonderful. How about you, Amie?"

Amie shyly stood up, scuffed her feet and said, "My father is a mailman."

"Thank you, Amie," said the teacher. "What about your father, Billy?"

Billy proudly stood up and announced, "My daddy runs a brothel."

The teacher was aghast and promptly changed the subject to geography.

Later that day she went to Billy's house and rang the bell. Billy's father
answered the door.

The teacher explained what his son had said and asked if there might be
some logical explanation.

Billy's father said, "I'm actually a politician. But how can I explain a
thing like that to a seven-year-old?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home